Translate

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

'Merica Reversible Swimsuit


This was an extremely fun project that I made for one of my friends. I thought it would be easier than it turned out to be. The problem wasn't the sewing. It was making it reversible and seamless at the same time. To this day I don't know how to make a Speedo bottom reversible without having to cut it at the crotch. :/
 Here's  my mess when I was making the design. I elected to make one side red in front, blue in the back, and white on the side with gold accents in the waist band. The other side is all gold (front and back) with white on the sides. Making the patterns took the most time out of everything. I didn't have Josh there to get all his measurements, but I knew he was a size 32 waist.  So... I had to get creative from there.  I used pictures from the internet and some whitey-tighties to somehow make a pattern. And then change the pattern. And change it again. And again. Until I finally had it right. The photos below are of the work in progress. I only have the sides sewn here. 

This is where things got complicated.  Everything is sewn up except for the elastic in the leg holes.  Okay. Easy right? Well, I got the one leg hole done beautifully. Perfectly ruched with the right amount of swimsuit elastic. I turned the right sides together again to do the other leg hole. Again, perfectly executed. I went to turn the swim suit right side out and I had some how created a tesseract in which it was a never-ending time warping connection of fabric.  Don't ask how it happened. I was perplexed for over half an hour wondering how I could fix it. Always sew right sides together, right??? I guess not when it comes to reversible Speedos. Anyways, took that out and had to cut at the crotch. Sew everything up again and violá! 
Anyways, it actually fit Josh and he enjoyed it for his pool party. I enjoyed the challenge. And the party. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment